[Rhodes22-list] NOAA Marine Weather Workshop in Blacksburg, VA on May 8 & 9

Mark Kaynor mark at kaynor.org
Tue Feb 24 15:36:27 EST 2004

Folks,

Claytor Lake Sailing Group is hosting a marine weather workshop by Lee
Chesneau on 8 & 9 May in Blacksburg, VA. We have a total of 25 seats
available - if you're interested in attending, let me know off-list.

Thanks,

Mark Kaynor

Sailors,

The Claytor Lake Sailing Group would like to invite you to a two day marine
weather workshop given by Lee Chesneau, Senior Meteorologist at NOAA's Ocean
Prediction Center (OPC). This is a great opportunity to learn from one of
the top people in his field (more about Lee follows).

Who:		Anyone interested in learning more about marine weather
Where:     	Blacksburg, VA
When:		0830-1730 Sat 8 May, and 0830-1630 Sun 9 May
Cost:		$100 (maximum - see "COST DETAILS" at bottom

Because this popular workshop is limited to a maximum of only 25 attendees,
we're asking for a $50 non-refundable deposit to reserve your seat.
Reservations are "first come, first served". See the "COST DETAILS" section
at the bottom of this email for more information.

Here's what Lee will be covering:

1.      Introduction. What is Weather and the Atmosphere...An overview of
the three dimensional global cells that drive the earth's weather. Include
30 minute overview UK film  "Meteorological Conditions at Sea"

2.      Scales of Weather...From global scale (El Nino) to micro-scale
(waterspouts).

3.      Surface Weather and Pressure Systems and Chart Interpretation. How
to calculate true wind from geo-strophic wind.

4.      500 Millibar (Mb) Concepts and Charts...What is it that drives
surface weather and winds, .which generate the seas.

5.      Highs and Lows of Weather.U of Wisconsin Film/or U.S. Air Force
Wind/Navigator. Good animation graphics which I cannot duplicate from chalk
talk.

6.      Exercise 500 Mb-Surface...Applying thumb rules. Documentation beats
conversation.

7.      Wave Formation Propagation and Decay, Wind& Wave Charts...How to
determine wave height from a surface pressure charts...from section 3, take
converted geo-strophic wind to true wind..using Bowditch tables, determine
fully developed seas, then determine how high are the waves when they arrive
at your boat and when.

8.      Gulf Stream/Kuroshio warm current "North Wall Case Study...when to
be in the Gulf Stream/Kuroshio Currents and when not to be.

9.      Holo Holo Case Study Film...The affects of breaking and non breaking
waves on your boat. The concepts are written in blood!

10.     Tropical weather and Topical Cyclones...remember Lenny?

11.     Tropical Cyclone Avoidance Exercise...Tall Sailing Ship Fantome
Discussion. Is it wise to hide behind an island, or take action based on
believing absolute forecast accuracy and reliance?

12.     OPC Products and Services...Do not leave home without them.

13.     Forecast Process of the OPC, Interpretation of the Fax Schedule....
How are marine weather forecasts made? Do you understand when products are
prepared and are available to you?

14.     Safety Decision Making Process.What can happen to you if you cut
corners.

15.     Accessing Marine Weather on Land and Sea... If you have e-mail at
sea you can get anything you want in compressed files. Accessing information
through cell phone technology/

16. Exercise...Brain Tickler to measure how well your mind absorbed the
workshop's information

17.     Weekend Wrap up

MORE ABOUT LEE CHESNEAU

The following paragraphs are taken from an article that appeared in the
December 2003 issue of Cruising World Magazine:

"Lee is a graduate of the University of Wisconsin and a former U.S. Navy
officer. During a naval career that, between active and reserve stints,
spanned 21 years, he earned such qualifications as officer of the deck and
meteorological officer. He served most of his sea time aboard aircraft
carriers, and he was recalled for Desert Storm."

"After his release from the U.S. Navy, he retired as a lieutenant commander
and went to work for Oceanroutes Inc. as a route analyst for commercial
shipping. This three-pronged perspective on marine-weather information makes
him an effective communicator, not only on how forecasts are prepared but
also on how sailors can best act upon the information the forecasts
contain."

"Chesneau and Sienkiewicz's message to sailors is that through training and
the study of basic meteorology, you can improve your understanding of
professionally prepared forecasts. You can then blend your own local weather
observations into the prediction."
http://www.cruisingworld.com/article.jsp?ID=201870&typeID=396&catID=568

CONTACT INFO

If you'd like to attend or need more information, please contact:

                Mark or Julie Kaynor

Email:          mark at kaynor.org
                julie at kaynor.org

Phone:          540-951-9328 (evenings)

Address:        803 Allendale Ct.
                Blacksburg, VA 24060

COST DETAILS

We're trying to do this as inexpensively as possible. Lee is generously
giving this workshop at no charge - we only need to cover his expenses and
those incurred by hosting the workshop. This gives us a good bit of
flexibility in the cost structure and we'll be passing this along to
attendees. Here's how it works:

The target budget has been set at $1000. The amount actually paid by each
participant ($50 minimum) will be adjusted according to the number of
attendees we have. For example, if only 10 attend (the minimum number for
which Lee will come do the workshop), each attendee will pay $100. If 15
attend, each attendee will only have to pay $75. If 20 or more attend, each
attendee will only have to pay $50. Please keep in mind that these numbers
are examples only - amounts could be different if expenses are higher than
expected.

The difference (if any) between your $50 deposit and the adjusted total due
will be announced via email during the week before the workshop and will be
due on arrival. Any amount remaining in the kitty after expenses will be
donated to the Claytor Lake Sailing Group and the Virginia Tech Sailing
Club.

If the workshop is cancelled your deposit will be refunded.

We look forward to seeing you here in Blacksburg. Fair winds.