[Rhodes22-list] Ranger Friend

Bob Keller r22yankeeclipper at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 24 15:42:17 EST 2004

Ed & Others,
This is a rare day at the office with not much going on, so let me finally
tell a little story about how I got to know my Ranger Friend with the
Georgia DNR.  I have avoided telling this story despite repeated urgings
from Rummy for one simple reason:  it is really embarrassing.  But, since it
occurred almost two years ago, it is easier to laugh about now.  It was May
2002 and I was out sailing the relatively new (to me) R-22 on Hartwell with
three friends.  Great wind and a grand time, but it was time to head in, so
we were motoring in with sails furled.  Along comes a DNR boat (Dept. of
Natural Resources - the cops) who pulled up alongside and asked me where the
registration numbers were on the boat.  Since the boat came from Virginia, I
had removed the old numbers but never replaced them with the GA numbers.
The truth is that I did not know that these numbers were required, which is
what I told my DNR friend, whose name was Mr. Padgett, or Inspector Padgett,
as he is now known around our cove.  After checking my license and
registration, (I was sufficiently sober so that there were no S.U.I. issues,
plus, he was just getting warmed up), he asked about my fire extinguisher.
Didn't know I needed one, was my brilliant reply.  Then he checked our life
jackets, and I was wearing the Stearns belt pack variety and he began to
question the suitability of that, but decided it was OK.  He asked if I had
a head on board, Yes, Sir; then asked porta potti or marine head, and I told
him a marine head.  Then he asked if I had a "pump-out log," but in that
thick southern accent I thought he said "pump-out lock" (since I had never
heard of a pump-out log anyway) and I said yes.  Hey, my boat's not named
Yankee Clipper for nothing.  So, he asked if he could see it and I said yes.
  Then we just looked at each other and he asked again and I said, "sure,
it's on the Y-valve!"  Bingo!!  Inspector Padgett just hit the jackpot.  He
told me that Y-valves were illegal on inland lakes and that I would have to
remove it.  Then he wrote me a ticket for an illegal MSD which carries a
$1,200 fine.  I think he probably took pity on my ignorance and told me to
remove the Y-valve and call him and he would stop by and inspect the boat
and tear up the ticket if it checked out.  That is exactly what I did and
when he stopped by to look at it he was as nice as can be and hardly even
looked at the boat, but took care of the ticket.  Nice guy after all was
said and done.

The post script to this story is that the following spring we took the boat
back to south Florida, but I did not check the holding tank and it filled up
while we were on the trip.  We had to cut our trip short by a day to sail
back to a pump-out facility because there were no facilities anywhere
nearby.  Boy, was I pissed...

There, I feel better now having confessed all that.
Bob K