[Rhodes22-list] R19 vs. R22 (was epinions)

Jim Connolly jbconnolly at comcast.net
Fri Jan 9 18:04:50 EST 2004

 Fred,

I owned an O'Day Mariner for three years prior to buying my '85 recycled
Rhodes 22 from GB.  The Mariner has the same hull and similar rig to an R19.
Mine was a centerboard model.  IMO, the keel/centerboard on the R22 is
greatly superior to the centerboard on the Mariner

I started looking to replace the Mariner when we were expecting our first
child.  We wanted something larger, more comfortable and easier to
single-hand.  The R22 with IMF fit the bill best.  As previously described,
the cockpit is huge, the cabin is large enough, very comfy, and very well
laid-out.  I was shocked to see how much larger it looked, as I never really
did a side-by-side comparison.

I have not actually raced the R22.  I have, however 'outrun' Catalina 22s
and O'Day 22s.  I have outrun some Catalina 25s too.  I'm pretty sure at
least some of them were trying to catch up ;-)  Of course, my equipment &
sails are all brand new.  Still, I have no complaints about performance.
Others on the list do race and seem to do well.

I am happy with my choice.  Pretty much everybody here is, but for different
reasons.  Your reasons for considering the boat are likely different from
mine.  A bit more about where you sail and why you are considering a change
might be helpful in getting more specific answers.

Fair Winds

Jim Connolly