[Rhodes22-list] epinions

Mary Lou Troy mltroy at netreach.net
Fri Jan 9 08:32:12 EST 2004

Fred,
I've only sailed a Rhodes 19 once but it was a sweet boat. If you go with a
Rhodes 22 the standard 175 furling genoa and sail with it rolled up a lot
and with the in-mast main, the upwind performance will be good but not as
good as your R19.

Not sure what you mean by "folding up" problems. If you mean putting it
away for trailoring, it will take more time with than an R19 but people who
do it frequently have it down to about 40 minutes. If you get the mast
raising system it is doable with one person even with the heavy in-mast
furling main and furling jib (which get raised and lowered all together).

My understanding is that O'Day 22s are heavy and slow. Catalina 22s provide
good performance but not the cruising luxuries of a Rhodes 22 and if you
sail in salt water, the swing keel becomes a maintenance issue. On the R22,
the centerboard is fiberglass and the pennant is line - nothing to corrode.
Com-Pac 23s are nice boats but do not give as good upwind performance,
especially in light air. My sense is that  of the 4 boats you mentioned the
R22 can be sailed well in a wider variety of conditions and it will take
you there in style. If you want to cruise, spending nights on the boat, the
R22 is better equipped and more comfortable.

If you want a good condition R22, the best way to get one is to buy
recycled from General Boats as they will have thoroughly inspected the boat
and you can have it outfitted as you wish. You pay a premium for this but
we found that it was worth it. You'll have to ask them what they are going
for these days. There are never many used Rhodes 22s around at any one time
as there are not all that many out there to begin with. General Boats buys
many of them back.

Where are you located?

Mary Lou (and Fred)
1991 R22  Fretless