[Rhodes22-list] Winter sailing blues - cure found

Mark Kaynor mark at kaynor.org
Sun Jan 11 16:45:55 EST 2004

Michael,

I know it's hard to justify buying a boat like that when you've got kids to
raise and send to school. Heck, it was hard enough for us to justify and our
kids are grown and out on their own (well, mostly <g>). We're lucky enough
to have fairly portable jobs and an employer who's really flexible about
employees working from home. We get three weeks of vacation (not nearly
enough IMHO), but with a high-speed Internet connection at the slip, we'll
be able to spend way more time on the boat that we otherwise could.

I'm sure you're aware that there are quite a few cruising couples out there
who have taken their kids with them and are home schooling them on the boat.
However, I think it takes really special parents to be able to make that
leap successfully. On the upside, the general consensus seems to be that
most of these kids are very well educated and are way more responsible and
self-sufficient than the majority of their peers on land. I think my kids
would have driven me nuts on a sailboat. I know their mother (the
ex-wife-from-Hell) would have <g>.

Thanks for your good wishes. I'll still be hanging around the list - we're
keeping Raven at least for another season. We're not going to be able to
move aboard for a couple of years, yet, and we'll need to be able to sail
while we're at home. Gotta sail - it's required <g>.

Mark