[Rhodes22-list] Politics

Steve Alm salm at mn.rr.com
Thu Jan 15 17:30:01 EST 2004

Methinks (it's one word, Rummy) that MOST of us are indeed upset, frustrated
and scared, at least at some level.  A frightened population is a
controllable one.  I have to believe this is by design.  Frightened people
buy stuff--not only material stuff but also ideological stuff.  The fear
mongers are not limited to the administration.  The collective congress,
politicians both conservative and liberal, government at all levels, the
media--the news, advertising, entertainment, etc. are all to blame for
perpetuating a climate of fear.  Although this has been going on for decades
here in the US, President Bush, however, should be singled out as a true
master of fear mongering.  It was his "Be afraid!  Be very afraid!" tactic
alone that got us into Iraq, for example.

Be afraid of terrorists, in fact be afraid of Muslims, be afraid of Jews, be
afraid of Hispanics, be VERY afraid of black men, be afraid of economic
collapse, be afraid of your mail, be afraid of your neighbor, be afraid of
asteroids!  Build a "safe  room" in your house and a bomb shelter in your
back yard!

Please see the movie/documentary "Bowling For Columbine" by Michael Moore.
Yes, he's certainly a liberal AND a card-carrying member of the NRA.  At
first, he seems to be making a somewhat biased case against guns.  But then
he goes to Canada where they have many more armed citizens than we do per
capita, but only an infinitesimal number of gun deaths compared to the
fearful here in the US.  What the Hell is going on here that makes us so
trigger happy?  Answer:  Fear.

Ron, I have to agree that Canada is looking better and better.  They don't
even lock their doors at night.

Slim