[Rhodes22-list] Auto Helm

FredkLange at aol.com FredkLange at aol.com
Thu Jan 15 22:59:40 EST 2004

Roger,

If you have the newer the newer tiller which curves up from the rudder, you
can mount the servo on top of the gunnel and it will be level if attached to
the under-tiller bracket.  I never found the under-tiller bracket to be a leg
scrapper, although I tend to steer from the side benches rather than sitting on
the lazzerette.  And I find the bracket to be handy for keeping the lazzerette
lid open.

The power cord on my Autohelm is long enough to extend to the outlet I
installed on the lazzerette bulkhead just under the starboard cockpit bench.  The
outlet is more protected from the weather there and it won't trip anyone
stepping onto the gunnel.  Plus it conforms to my sailing principle that short
tethers keep things and bodies on board.  That is, the Autohelm would have drowned
long ago because the full length of the cord is more than the freeboard from
gunnel.

Fred