[Rhodes22-list] Fear

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Sat Jan 17 15:10:54 EST 2004

You've got that right, Slim.  My spine's been chilly since the Patriot Act.
Your comments earlier on fear seem on the nose to me.

If it wasn't for fear, political or otherwise, perhaps Congress wouldn't
have voted the Patriot Act in right after 9/11, most without reading it's
details.  Sure, the devil is in the details there too, especially those
details that significantly reduce our freedoms from the Bill of Rights.

Good men have fought and died for America to protect for Americans those
very rights that we now no longer have, thanks to our Congress.  And we, the
people, do not seem want to hold them accountable.

The Justice Department has Patriot Act II (not sure of the exact name) ready
now to present to Congress for approval, right after the next terror attack.
Personally, I'd rather have all the rights I used to have and take my
chances with a slightly less powerful federal government there to protect
me.

PT