[Rhodes22-list] Self-Tacking R22 traveler

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Sat Jan 17 17:08:22 EST 2004

Bob and Everyone,

Bob got me obsessing about travelers.  I've been messing around with adapting a dinghy style self-tacking traveler for the R22 and just want to share it with you.  Versions of travelers like this one are used on some Lightnings, Y-Flyers, and Tanzer 16s.  I adapted this design to the R22 crossbar tube.

The mainsheet attaches to a continuous triangular (when under tension) loop, run through blocks at either end of the bar.  The center of the bar has an eye, through which the line passes to an adjustable cleat lock point on the bar.  You can mess around with different triangle sizes to achieve the effect of windward sheeting when the traveler in centerlined in light air.  However, take care not to make the triangle too large, or it could be difficult to add lots of leech tension to the main when needed.  Suggest using a Vectran 1/4" line, which would travel smoothly and have about 5,000# breaking strength - should be enough.  Probably need some strong blocks on eyes through-bolted on the R22 crossbar tube as well.

Adjust the line tail on the traveler for the wind conditions - then forget it!  It will self-tack to the exact setting on the other tack or gybe.  It enables the skipper to ignore the traveler and just worry about helming the boat through a tack or gybe. KISS.

PT
s/v Phoenix