[Rhodes22-list] Self-Tacking R22 traveler

Steve rhodes2282 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 17 19:58:10 EST 2004

Peter
1/4" line is hard on the hands.  In heavy wind, you
would never be able to pull it tight.  Maybe I'm
missing something but it look like the mainsheet is
conecting to what you call a loop that is sliding on
the 1/4" line.  This is just not something that I
would do and go sailing in 20+ knots of wind.

Better to leave the traveler as is and just lock it
down in the middle of the bar and not use it.  Leave
the mainsheet loose and you will get the same effect.

You did an excellent job on the drawing.  If I
remember right; seem like Stan designed something that
would cushion the heel during a major gust.

When using the traveler, just leave the leward side
uncleated; makeing your adjustment on the windard
side.  Before making a tack; try to center the
traveler; cleat down the leward side - then tack.
That as simple as it needs to be.
Steve

http://www.rhodes22.org/pipermail/rhodes22-list/attch/200401/17/R22alternativetravelller.jpg