[Rhodes22-list] inside sheeting

bgreenwald at optonline.net bgreenwald at optonline.net
Mon Jan 19 14:45:45 EST 2004

Hi all,

As i look out on the freshly fallen white gift from heaven, my mind has been turnng to last season's adventures and mishaps.  I thought that as i was able to recall the various questions I had set aside for later contemplation i would post them.  One problem/question i continue to ponder relates to how to deal with changing points of sail when single-handling.
After 2 seasons I finally had an opportunity to raise my 110 jib during the fall season. (I had removed my 175 as a pre hurricane preparation and since i had had trouble the prior season pointing in the gusty fall conditions on LIS with my 175 furled, and had to put up a sail anyway, i decided to breakout my 110).  To a relatively inexperienced sailor it appeared to work well, provding better pointing ability when sheeted inside the upper shroud and providing a pretty comfortable and controlled ride.  However, when changing to a beam or broad reach, it seemed necessary to move the sheet back outside  to avoid s
evere chafing of the sheet against the shroud.  When single-handling in particular,  I found that  moving the sheets inside/outside not very easy to do in windy conditions.  I am curious if there is some technique or rigging that makes this more convenient.
 I suppose I could head up into the wind and essentially come to a stop each time I needed to make the adjustments but  I suspect there may be a better way.  It also occurred to me that perhaps one could add a second set of sheets, so that one set would always be inside and one outside so that  at any point there would be 3 lazy sheets but that doesn't sound very seamanlike and it seems there woud be an awful lot of line lying around to deal with.
Other than avoiding changes in point of sale, does anyone have any thoughts about this?

Bruce Greenwald
S/V Ruach II