[Rhodes22-list] Barnegat Bay/R22 History (was 'Circe')

Jay Friedland a.jayf at verizon.net
Mon Jan 19 18:04:12 EST 2004

Dear Circe owner-
First of all, under "small world", Tom & Mary (Kosiba) are still proud
owners of their '81 Rhodes, but now looking to update. The best part of
a Sail Expo is who comes out of the woodwork, and they came looking at
the show. I met them earlier this Dec. when my son mentioned to me
while I was pulling my boat out that "you know there's another R22
around the corner from you".

Tooling around from 16th St. in Ship Bottom to 13th St. I found them,
had great discussions, including their Greece sailing adventures, and
Mary's luncheon with the great, but small and quiet (shy) man we are
all indebted to, Philip Rhodes. We will be comparing notes soon as that
and sailboat shows are the only ways to pass the time with the boat out
of the water. They had construction on the house and never had a chance
to launch last year. Now the upgrade bug bit them with some of the
niceties Stan has added over the years.

Speaking of history, and out of the woodwork, my son's high school
sailing coach told me of the original hull construction he worked on as
a kid in the late 60's and early 70's. His employer was Hank Magursky,
One Design Boatworks, Toms River, NJ, and even then each boat had its
own personality, or "semi-custom" origins.

Like Mary Lou, I'm curious your and your boat's whereabouts. While
there are many other strongholds of R22 owners that may be more
glamorous (Chesapeake, Florida, etc.), the Continental has shown an
enduring perfect fit with our sailing conditions- "blessed with high
winds, and no water" (minimum 12 kts winds off thermals march to Nov,
and 2-3 feet, average depth most of the bay). The R22 ideal combination
of keel/centerboard and reefing/ furler allows us to sail anywhere,
anytime. Well over a dozen of us LBI/Barnegat Bay Rhodies criss cross
each other's paths, and the Atlantic City Sailboat show brought even
more of us out-did we meet?

Scott, Stan's son, has sailed these waters, preceding Elton with set-up
and maiden voyages. So the history here is rich, but I'm glad you
renewed it with the list.

Thanks,
Jay Friedland

(original R22 1986, recycled 1989, s/v "Just, You, & Me"
current R22 1997, s/v "Wanderlust", berthed March to November at Haven
Beach Club)