[Rhodes22-list] are we crazy?

Richard Smith sailnut at worldnet.att.net
Fri Jan 23 09:09:34 EST 2004

Starting from the N.Y. Outer harbor you will have to sail on the Atlantic to
the Fire Island Inlet.  During the Summer it's not a particularly difficult
passage.  I did this once in a CD-25 it's a 5-7 hour sail.

You can enter the inlet and proceed eastward on Great South Bay which is
shallow but marked by navigation aids. There are very few public marinas on
Great South Bay  and most cater to smallish boats. So you may end up
anchoring a couple of nights.

 At the East end of the bay there are a couple of bridges but I believe you
can clear them (check the NOAA charts to be sure.)

Once out of Great south Bay you will have to return to the Atlantic via
Shincock Inlet and round Montauk Point.  Here you will experience blue water
conditions (swells and perhaps some strongish currents.)

Both of the inlets I have mentioned can be VERY dangerous in the event of
inclement weather.  Do not push the envelop.  If conditions are questionable
WAIT!!

Once past Montauk Point you can bear westward and enter the Sound via Plum
Gut.  Watch the currents here they are strong.

Once in the Sound you can proceed along the North or South Shore.  There are
many sheltered harbors and Marinas here .  On both sides

Proceeding westward on the Sound you eventually come to the East River which
will return you to N.Y. Harbor.

I would say a week to 10 days would be enough time.

Buy a copy of Eldrige.  Indispensable.

Richard Smith