[Rhodes22-list] Prosecuted homeowner blasts officials

Steve Alm salm at mn.rr.com
Sun Jan 25 17:02:16 EST 2004

Today's Minneapolis paper published an editorial by an Alaskan named Karl
Francis who gives another reason for carrying a gun--defending yourself
against wild animals.  He's responding to the story of the Californian man
and woman who were recently attacked by mountain lions.  He writes,

"I am puzzled now by the strange way people here are dealing with mountain
lions--which is to say, letting them kill you.

"Nature killing people is no big deal for Alaskans.  That's the way things
are in Alaska.

"When you step into it, you are at risk.  If you are wise, you prepare for
it.  Alaska does not suffer fools.  It eats them."

He goes on to report how many people he knows who have been attacked by
grizzly bears and polar bears.  He carries his .41 magnum with him at all
times.

In this regard, if I were on a boat and hooked a shark while fishing, I'd
prefer to put a couple of bullet holes in him before I tried to gaff him
aboard.

Slim