[Rhodes22-list] I need a favor, I got a buy who never seen the boat

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Wed Jan 28 09:39:50 EST 2004

Steve,
We went out Saturday morning and motored to another portion of the lake where
we met up with Capt. Bob on Yankee Clipper. We motored into the wind and had
waves breaking across the bow, soaking everyone in the cockpit, so you know
the winds they were a houling. My guess is they were 25 steady with gusts even
higher. It was a grand day for sailing.
I was out with Rodger and Betty ( 1976 Rhodes 22 R'Yot) so I had some able
bodied crew along. We pulled the main out about forty percent and that was all
it took. Just flapping in the wind while trying to trim sails was enough to
finish her off. We continued to sail with it and the genoa furled to about 100%
the remainder of the day, but she's absolutely gone....not worth fixing. If it
been a standard main, we could have dropped sail and repaired with sail tape,
but the IMF doesn't allow for that without dropping the mast.

Rummy