[Rhodes22-list] reply to comment on mast hoist on Rhodes 22

Saroj saroj at pathfind.net
Tue Jul 6 03:28:37 EDT 2004

I have an absolutely wonderful mast raising system that I bought at the
Sailboat Shop in Phoenix - their own design - cost around $100.  It has a
collapsable crutch: 2 square "pipes" that have periodic holes that are
stopped by one of those commonly found pins with a wire that holds the end
from coming out.  I couldn't tell you if it is heavier than the GB version,
but I don't find it too heavy.  I can easily raise and lower the standard
mast myself as a 62-year-old woman, plump though reasonably fit and strong.
The biggest difficulty I find in setting the mast is getting it moved into
position on the tabernacle and lined up correctly to pin it in.  Oh, yes,
and being sure that all the stays and lines are laid properly so nothing
gets hung up on the way up - only cause I don't raise the mast very often.
The entire contraption stows easily in the little shelves in the V-berth
when traveling. The other piece to it is the bar that attaches to the mast
to create the necessary triangle for leverage - and the lines to a block
attached to the bow area and then back thru fair leads to the cockpit.

Saroj