[Rhodes22-list] "boom getting hung up" was Jibing (well, jibbing, but I think the correct spelling is "jibing")

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Tue Jul 6 08:45:32 EDT 2004

Hi Saroj!

I haven't heard from you in quite a while.  I'm glad you're still around.

If your boom is 12 inches longer than the foot of your mainsail; then, you
could probably cut about 6 inches off the aft end of the boom.  Just make
certain there is sufficient room remaining on the end of the boom for the
mainsail foot outhaul to do its thing.  Dynamic Equilibrium's mainsail foot
outhaul is a 3:1 Schaefer block & tackle.  6 inches from the clew grommet to
the end of the boom would be more than enough length for it to operate.  6
inches less boom length would make a huge difference in the likelyhood of
the boom getting hung up on the backstays.  But, your mainsail foot outhaul
may be different than mine.  So, please measure how much room it needs
before you shorten your boom.

To shorten Dynamic Equilibrium's boom, I would drill out the pop rivets that
secure the end casting to the aft end of the boom.  Mark the end casting
before you remove it so you will be certain to reinstall it right side up.
Then, the aluminum boom tubing would be cut with a hacksaw and the rough
edges smoothed down with 100 grit sandpaper or emery cloth.  New holes for
the end casting would be drilled in the freshly cut end of the boom using
the end casting as a template to locate the holes.  Finally, the end casting
would be reattached to the boom using aluminum pop rivets.  Note, don't use
steel pop rivets or you will have corrosion problems down the road.

Good luck!

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium