[Rhodes22-list] Fw: Jibbing

Ben Schultz BenS at ApproSystems.com
Tue Jul 6 12:03:07 EDT 2004

Here's the beauty of a small boat:  what I do on this -- whether the jibe is
accidental or on purpose -- is grab the sheet above the lower block.  So, in
that case, you've got four or five lines running up and down through your
hand.  Pull down on that, and you achieve two things.  First, you keep the
sail from lifting on you as it jibes.  Second, you control the boom, and
keep the jibe smooth and controlled.

I sometimes like to sit on the gunnel, slightly forward of where captains'
seats get mounted (I don't have those).  It's the fear of an accidental jibe
wrapping the sheet around my neck and giving me an instant hanging that
keeps me alert. :-)

Ben

-----Original Message-----
From: Saroj [mailto:saroj at pathfind.net]
Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 10:51 AM
To: The Rhodes 22 mail list
Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Fw: Jibbing

Dave's answer makes sense except for the fact that the very nature of an
accidental jibe precludes sheeting in the main.  Laying at 45 degrees with
waves of water flowing in over the gunnels certainly does give a big
adrenaline rush, don't it....  How did you release the boom quickly?  I
still haven't figured out the trick here..... seems to just "happen" after
some frantic pulling and yanking of this and that.

Roger gave me some good instructions on how to shorten my boom, so I plan on
doing that to permanently solve the problem.

Saroj