[Rhodes22-list] Fw: Jibbing

FredkLange at aol.com FredkLange at aol.com
Tue Jul 6 11:45:02 EDT 2004

I'm wondering if all these problems of the boom catching in the backstays
isn't just a matter of the backstays being too long.  When I got my boat second
hand, it didn't have shroud adjusters for the backstays--just a plate with one
hole.  As a result, the backstay tensioner pulled the stays almost together
when it was tight enough for heading upwind.

After installing shroud adjusters, I can rig the backstays so there is very
little slack.  Now pulling the tensioner to its tightest still leaves a couple
feet of space between the backstays.  This space is enough for the boom end to
pass through at any angle.

Fred