[Rhodes22-list] need help

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Thu Jul 8 15:25:18 EDT 2004

Stan,

In general I'm with the list on the ability of translation programs.  The famous example I know of was a computer translation of a paper about a hydraulic ram.  The computer translated that as a "water goat"--every time.

If all you are trying to do is communicate with people who work for you on a daily basis, the programs are fine as long as both sides are good natured about the errors.  I use the programs all the time, both when we travel, and when I am trying to communicate with Spanish speaking help around the house when my wife is not around.

Type something in.  The translations come back in seconds.  Print it out.  Hand it to the worker.  If it makes no sense, or the worker doesn't understand he/she can type in a question, you can type the response.  You go back and forth with a lot of hand gestures and nodding until you are sure you have made yourself understood.  If you are standing nearby watching the results you can tell if the worker really got it or not.

Use the free programs as they are improving all the time.  Find one that works for you and your workers.  At some point you start to learn a little Spanish and they start to learn a little English just to speed up the process.  It's kind of fun, and they are wonderful workers.  It's nice to see another immigrant group work as hard as you have to work to get off the bottom rung.

Bill Effros