[Rhodes22-list] keels- is there a difference?

David Walker david.walker5 at comcast.net
Fri Jul 16 11:26:45 EDT 2004

Roger,

I really don't know whether I have the diamond board or not (recycled 90,
purchased in 98) but after two seasons I converted from a standsrd main and
150 genoa, to the IMF main and 175.  The mast step stayed put.  I can't say
that I have noticed any significant lee helm.

With the jib and main full out the boat balances extremely well until it
heels enough that hull form causes weather helm  (which is a good thing).
The wind velocity to reach this point is obviously depenedent  on number
crew. Then one reefs the jib first, then the main to keep balance.

I have obviusly noticed that performance was degraded slightly with the
change,  and tacking is a little  more difficult, although for the type of
sailing I do the compromise was worth it.

Dave Walker