[Rhodes22-list] bilge pump

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Fri Jul 16 15:10:24 EDT 2004

Reduce the amount of sail and your boat will go faster, and you will never heel past your water lines.  Talk to Jay.  I've been sailing with him on Barnegat Bay.  You guys have the amount of wind the rest of us just dream of.  With a roller furling jib and main, you can fly the exact right amount of sail to get the most speed out of your boat.  If you are not heeling you can sail at over 6 knots, almost all the time.  If you are not heeling you can exceed the hull speed of your boat.  The boat will plane if you set your sails properly and don't heel in wind conditions like you get on what you would call a windy day.  I have sailed my boat at 7-10 knots for hours on end in high wind conditions here on Long Island Sound.  Few other boats go out on days like this, but the Rhodes can handle it, and I can handle the Rhodes single handing.

Then you can always leave your water tank almost full, and you will not need a new gasket.

KISS.

Bill Effros