[Rhodes22-list] Fw: Jibbing

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Sat Jul 17 17:15:48 EDT 2004

Mark,

Very clever, but please heed a word of warning regarding what you are doing
in that photo.  By routing the backstay control line over the stern pulpit
on the port side & tensioning it as shown; you are putting an asymmetric
load on the masthead casting, the top of the aluminum mast extrusion, the
rivets holding the two together, and the backstay wires.  None of these
pieces/parts were designed to loaded in that manner.  Therefore, please keep
a close eye on the condition of the top of the masthead.  If you start to
see any warping or distortion of the end of the mast extrusion, pop rivets
failing, or fraying of the backstay wires; then, don't ignore it.  My guess
would be you will see the pop rivets holding the masthead casting to the
mast extrusion start to fail first.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium