[Rhodes22-list] Generator and Camping question... (a follow-up)

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Fri Jul 23 00:39:04 EDT 2004

Doug,

OK, trailer camping with all the bell, whistles, & generators isn't really
my thing.  However, I am pretty familier with Michigan.  Practically any
state park in Michigan is going to have the electrical & water hookups you
want for your trailer.  Since you will have small children along, I presume
things for the kids to do ranks pretty high on your list of priorities.
Therefore, I recommend Silver Lake State Park in Mears, MI (231-873-3083).
Silver Lake State Park has access to both Silver Lake, a small sandy bottom
inland lake as well as Lake Michigan with an incredible, "goes on forever"
sandy beach & sand dunes.  Nearby, there is Mac Woods Dune Buggy Rides
(231-873-2817) on the famous Lake Michigan sand dunes.  Michigan's Adventure
Amusement & Water Park is just a short distance away in Muskegon, MI
(231-766-3377).  Also in Muskegon, MI is the Great Lakes Naval Memorial &
Museum where you can take a tour of the USS Silversides, an actual WW II USN
submarine (231-755-1230)  Holland, MI with the Wind Mill Island, The Dutch
Village, tulips, and the De Klomp Wooden Shoe Factory (616-399-1900) is also
nearby.  In nearby Shelby, MI there is the Shelby Man-Made Gemstones Co.,
where you can view the manufacturing & polishing processes used to make
artificial gemstones (231-861-2165).  Drive about a 100 miles north along
US-31 on the Lake Michigan coastline to Sleeping Bear Dunes National
Lakeshore (231-326-5134).  This drive is one of the prettiest & most scenic
in the state.  If you're up to the physical challenge, you can climb one the
world's largest sand dunes.  You can take a day trip via ferry out to S.
Manitou Island, about 5 miles offshore (231-256-9061).  There are also lots
of trails for hiking & biking within the national lakeshore park.  However,
be forewarned that most of them are in sand dune terrain & will thus be very
hot dry places to be at this time of year.

There, that should keep your family occupied for several days.

Have fun!

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium