[Rhodes22-list] well here is my lack of photo skill

Mark Kaynor mark at kaynor.org
Tue Jul 27 09:03:21 EDT 2004

Michael,

Prop walk can be used to great effect. Our 37' Tayana w/ a cutaway full keel
backs "like a drunken elephant". We've got a 3-blade fixed prop, and I've
learned to use the prop walk to "back and fill" - that is, just about turn
the boat around in it's own length as long as I'm turning clockwise.

Here's a pretty good explanation:
http://www.cruising.sailingcourse.com/docking.htm

I do everything I can to avoid backing to starboard - against the prop walk.
To have any control at all in reverse, I have to get the boat moving, take
it out of gear and gently turn the wheel - too much and she doesn't respond,
too little and she doesn't respond <g>. She does pretty well in forward, but
w/ that keel, sure won't turn on a dime, no matter what.

I've also learned to use the prop walk when docking. If at a dock, I come in
on my port side if I can and get a bow line fastened, then, when I bump
reverse, the prop walk brings the stern over nicely. If in our slip, I come
in at a slight angle w/ the bow slightly to port. Bump reverse, and the boat
stops and the stern comes right over to the piling where I can grab the
line. Of course, if there's much wind, all bets are off. Last time I tried
w/ about a 10 kt cross wind, I managed to over correct for the wind and
catch a piling w/ a brace on the anchor roller on the bow sprit - no harm
done, no one hurt, so it was a success, but the bigger the boat, the bigger
the challenge. And, of course, the one time I screw it up is the one time
there's an audience of about 8 or 10 <g>.

I've seen "prop cages" on lobster boats in Maine to protect the prop and
shaft from lobster pot lines. Maybe something like that could work for you.

Mark