[Rhodes22-list] V berth floatation

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Thu Jun 3 09:32:50 EDT 2004

Michael, Rummy,

Until I covered it with marine grade plywood several years ago, the top &
aft end of the bow floatation foam in my 1976 Rhodes 22 was exposed.  As old
as it is, it was getting kind of brittle or friable; but, it was still
bonded quite firmly to the inside of the hull.  It appears the factory left
the inside of the hull unfinished in the area where the foam was to be
installed.  Leaving the hull unfinished provided the foam with a rough
surface to attach to.  In adhesive bonding technology, the rough surface is
said to have a lot of "tooth" that the foam can flow around & interlock
with.  So, there is both an adhesive as well as a mechanical bond between
the foam and the hull.

If your bow floatation foam is encased in fiberglass, what difference does
it make if the foam is still bonded to the hull or not?  The encapsulated
foam couldn't go anywhere even if it where not bonded to the hull, could it?

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium