[Rhodes22-list] boat name

Mary Lou Troy mltroy at verizon.net
Wed Jun 16 10:20:03 EDT 2004

Ok Michael, here's my list. Aeolus (or Aiolos or Aeolos) is good so if you
like it you might want to stick with it. No one will know how to spell it
though - that's in keeping I guess.

I've thought of a few other possibilities:
Sounder   (because you sail LIS)
Southwester
Southerly
Harp   (as in Aeolian Harp - an instrument played by the wind - also a good
beer)
Decoder   (well, you know....)
Magic ring   (ditto...)
Translation
Mademoiselle   (so you can have a French girl to show rummy)
Joker
Too quiet
Intangible
Lucky
AMLANI  (sounds Hawaiian, hope it doesn't mean anything but first two
letters of your girls names)
AMLANIKA    (sounds Swedish, Finnish or Russian, hope it doesn't mean
anything and have added the first two letters of Karin's name)
Ringer    (because you boat will not be quite recognizable as a Seaward 26
and will have folks scratching their heads)
Mystery (ditto)

and my favorite (I actually woke up in the middle of the night laughing
with this one):
Condensed Sloop

I also did a search for websites about wind - so here are a few where you
might get more ideas (warning - a lot of these sites seem to be put up by
new-agey romantics):
http://ggweather.com/winds.html
http://www.soilsci.ndsu.nodak.edu/Enz/ss217/winds.html
http://apdl.kcc.hawaii.edu/~oahu/stories/winds.htm
http://mediatheek.thinkquest.nl/~ll118/en/development/types.list.html
http://windlegends.org/windnames.htm
http://windlegends.org/windgods.htm
http://www.owlsdottir.com/wind/geolas/Winds.htm
just new-agey but poetic:
http://www.sacredspiral.com/books/magickal.pdf
and a boat name site you might have missed (with reasons why people used
those names which might jar something loose)
http://www.redskyatnight.com/boatnames.html

You might ask Karin for something in German that's not too long or hard to
say on the VHF

Good luck! Hope this helps!

Mary Lou