vang (was Re: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Le Menagerie:SPI Texas-Aftershakedown)

Jim Connolly jbconnolly at comcast.net
Tue Jun 22 19:43:46 EDT 2004

Maybe this is a stupid idea, but...

What about a solid vang above the boom, attached from the mast a few feet
above the gooseneck extending aft and down to the boom?

Advantage - wouldn't interfere with the pop top.  Could be adjustable if it
were flexible and/or sprung and had a tackle.
Disadvantages - expensive, complex, adds weight higher, interfered with
airflow low on the sail.

I'm thinking something like a boomkicker installed upside-down.

What say you all?  Disadvantages outweigh advantages?

Jim Connolly
s/v Inisheer
'85