[Rhodes22-list] 1st Seaward 26 Sail

William P. Barry, III wp.barry at att.net
Fri Jun 25 00:46:20 EDT 2004

1) Yes, battery 1 is the starting battery and battery two is electrical
operations. While i do know that for fact because i asked in Stuart, i am
not sure about leaving it in the "both" position to charge. The charger
installed from Edenton connects DIRECTLY to the batteries so the switch has
no effect on which battery it charges. It plugs in to the regular 110
outlets that become active when plugged into shore power and than converts
that to the batteries. To keep the 110 plug and wire from showing and
running throughout the cabin i put a 110 outlet behind the batteries in the
vberth storage area. It turns off when batteries reach capacity.

2)  The switch to allow shore power current to run into the boat is on the
aft side of the countertop. Looks just like a two switch breaker and they
flip on together.  There is also a 110 GFI outlet located here.

3) Hot water tank operation- Just aft of the v-berth on the port side there
is a half 110 outlet and what looks like a horizontal light switch. This
switch turns the hot water tank on and off when connected to shore power
with the breaker (aft of galley) turned on. Only turn this on briefly before
using and turn off when not in use. Joey (of Seaward) told us that this is
not like your ordinary house hot water heater, it will stay on and continue
to heat. If not at shore power, just running the engine will heat this tank.

    Pumps- There are two of them. I do not remember which is top or which is
bottom, but I can explain to you what each does. One of them is your bilge,
shower, and icebox pump. Turn this on only to drain those. Keep BREAKER
SWITCH in off position when not in use, it is directly hardwired to the
battery and should the bilge fill with water there is an activation switch
which will turn it on. To select where this pump is takin water from, look
on the port side settee. Here there is a handle with 4 setting selections.
point the SMALLER point to the position of which you would like to drain.
The settings include shower, bilge, icebox, and off. This only selects which
hose water is being pulled from, NOT which pump the switch turns on. All
four settings share the same pump. Keep the manual HOSE SELECTION nob on
'bilge' when not in use. It is the SMALLER point that is the selector, not
the larger side.

    The other pump, when switched on, will turn on for a short time than
turn off. This keeps constant pressure in the water hoses for the sink and
shower so it runs as an on demand high pressure system. If you turn the sink
on, you will hear the pump turn itself on again. More than likely there
really isn't a reason to keep this breaker on when not in use. Just needs to
be on when planning to use sink or shower.

The single opening in the bow fills both hot and cold water tanks. It is
full when water cones out the vent on the starbard side freeboard.

Hope these descriptions are understandable,

    Will Barry
    wp.barry at att.net