[Rhodes22-list] Clean Sails

Jim White jdwhite at panam.edu
Tue Mar 2 18:48:36 EST 2004

Hi folks
Finally got the time to remove the headsail from Menagerie, and cleaned it
with laundry detergent and a soft bristled brush here at the lab. It did a
pretty good job, even removed most of the light coat of algae which the
previous owner had let grow (some sort of science experiment?, I don't
know....). The clew has a couple of weak spots in it, several tears, and
some of the zig-zags need re-enforcing,  but I think we can patch them up
and at least get a little time out of it while we order a new one, and
await its interminable arrival . There's a canvas shop here that does sail
repair (kinda nice in a coastal community). But now my better half
(sometimes referred to as "crew"...and what the hell, she refers to our
boat as "La Movida" <in Spanish: my girlfriend>) would like me to buy her a
heavy duty sewing machine so that she can do the repairs. I know they're
pretty spendy, but having a sail repairer in the family...well I think I
could justify that!  Seems like a good idea, do any of ya'll do that sort
of thing (minor repairs  / repairs to your sails?) and if so what sort of
machine(s) do you use? Recommend any good instructional material?

I'm about 3 days work (which, here equates to about 3 weeks time to get
that much) from being ready to splash the boat for the season.

As always, thanks for your advice!

Jim White