[Rhodes22-list] RE: Fine Day Sailing

Mark Kaynor mark at kaynor.org
Mon Mar 8 15:25:34 EST 2004

Jim,

I know how you feel. Last year we got Raven all ready to put in on 1 April.
On March 31 we got 8" of snow. Go figure.

This year we re-varnished all of Raven's easily removable wood in the
basement over the winter and with last week's balmy weather we got caught up
on all the fixed wood. During this past week we got her ready to take to the
lake - beautiful weather and our last home regular season VT women's
basketball game (always a sure harbinger of spring <g>) combined to ensure
we were bitten by the "let's get the boat in the water and go sailing" bug.
On Saturday we took off the tarp, re-rigged the spreaders and standing
rigging, test raised the mast, and decided Sunday was the day.

We got her in the water yesterday morning - she was the first boat at the
marina for the season - looked might lonely. The weather forecast called for
15-25 mph winds w/ gusts up to 40 with rain and possible snow in the
afternoon. We thought about going for a sail, but it was pretty gusty by
then and we decided that we'd wait for a less blustery day for our
shakedown. We got home and remembered we'd forgotten to check the bilge.

So we drove back out and saw two of our next slip neighbors had also put in.
Her bilge was dry (as always) and she looked a lot less lonely. We doubled
up a few lines since the weather forecast had changed and was now calling
for sustained winds of 25-30 with gusts as high as 55 mph.

It's a good thing we went back to check, though. One of the other boat's
owners were there - they'd lost the key to their van overboard and there was
no one else around at the park. They all piled into our car and we gave them
a ride home.

It's been cold and spitting snow off and on all day today. And it's supposed
to be cold for the rest of the week. Sigh. This time of year is always so
tough.

Mark Kaynor