[Rhodes22-list] Motor Hoists and engine weights

mkorsten at optonline.net mkorsten at optonline.net
Thu Mar 11 16:56:31 EST 2004

I own a 1988 Rhodes 22 which came equipped with the original motor mount. It seems in good shape and hoists and lowers my present engine (a 9.9 HP Johnson 2 stroke circa 1988) without any problems.  For a number of reasons, I would like to purchase a new  9.9 HP 4 stroke engine for the coming sailing season. These engines are considerably heavier (100-110 lbs) than what I now own. My questions to the readers of this list are as follows: Is it advisable to upgrade the motor hoist to accommodate these heavier loads? If so, should I purchase it from GB or some other source? Thanks for your insights on this issue.