[Rhodes22-list] back to Gennys ....Bullshit.

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Sun Mar 14 08:04:52 EST 2004

Wally,

I think it's great that you are enjoying racing, and have learned you can
PHRF race with bigger boats and beat them.  Go Wally!

As for the genny selection, I'm with Steve on this... get the 155.  It makes
a great deal of sense NOT to penalize yourself to start with a worse (lower)
rating just because of the perceived benefit a bigger sail implies, but
really only comes into play in light air conditions.  Around here (lake
sailing; no seabreeze), the best racing is in the winter anyway, where the
155 would be preferable for winter's fresh breezes. You can probably furl a
155 down to about a 110 with a tapered luff pad and have a little sail shape
left to race with.  Also, a 155 is still considered a "light air" sail.

Another important consideration is clew height.  A higher clewed headsail
furls easier and gives you move visibility under the foot to view the
crossing approaching traffic, so you would not need a window.  Many
racer/cruisers seem to like these features.  However, due to geometry, a
higher clewed 155 would extend much farther aft than a decksweeper 155.
Also, with a decksweeper I've heard talk about "end plate" effect with the
wind on the deck.  Plus the sail's center of effort is lower and more
forward so it's easier to hold down..  I just mention these points to you so
you can have a good discussion with your sailmaker.

My 84 R22, the Phoenix, is on shoring supports in the yard patiently waiting
for her "make-over".  It will probably be two years before she is ready to
launch, with other work and sailing distractions in my que ahead of her.
Just for the record, on the trip to NC, the Phoenix weighed in at 3,300
pounds at a highway truck scale.   Seems heavy for an old boat, don't you
think?

Fair winds,

PT

> [...]
> >non-gusting wind.
> >
> >"Bullshit" is rather a strong technical term when so many different
factors
> >could be involved.
> >
> >I asked Wally if he has a standard or IMF main because in my experience
it
> >is the main sail that controls heel, and the genny that provides the
power
> >on my boat.  In strong winds I roll up the main far enough so the boat
> >sails upright.  Sometimes this results in a stupid looking "hanky" coming
> >out of my IMF slot.  I leave the 175 all the way out.  There isn't
another
> >boat on Long Island Sound that has its sails set even remotely like
> >mine--but my boat goes like a bat out of hell--in total comfort,
completely
> >under control.
> >
> >I don't like to lower the boom, and rarely do so.  I reduce main sail
size
> >instead.  I don't race, I don't sail triangular courses.  I can set an
> >interesting tack and stay with it all day, and with any luck I can
reverse
> >the tack and sail all the way home.
> >
> >If Wally had said he has a standard mail sail, I would not necessarily
> >recommend the 175 for his boat.  But since he says he has the IMF, I
would.
> >  The race committees are right.  The 175 genny is going to make the boat
> >faster boat.
> >
> >Many people don't know how fast they're going through the water, either.
> >They tend to confuse discomfort with speed.  It feels much faster when
you
> >are petrified about tipping over.  But an R-22 is designed to sail
upright,
> >and if you can measure the speed you will see it goes faster upright than
> >heeled, all other conditions being equal.  Ask Jay about this.
> >
> >Furthermore, the characteristics of a fully extended 175 genny outside
the
> >shrouds are substantially different from the characteristics of a 125
fully
> >extended genny inside the shrouds.
> >
> >If it is important to me to point higher I will move the sail inside
> >shrouds, but the amount of sail available in those conditions is
> >substantially less than is available with smaller sails cut to the
purpose.

> >Returning from all these digressions to what is actually my main point:
> >because we are all owners of Rhodes-22 sailboats we frequently forget
that
> >there are substantial and important differences between our boats.  I
don't
> >have the time to mention it every time I see it, but it disturbs me when
> >see forceful writers or experienced sailors try to bludgeon others into
> >accepting their points of view, which may not be valid for all other

Until

http://msn.careerbuilder.com/promo/kaday.htm?siteid=CBMSN_1K&sc_extcmp=JS_JASweep_MSNHotm2