[Rhodes22-list] New Genny - Was Bullshit

Steve Alm salm at mn.rr.com
Sun Mar 14 22:56:57 EST 2004

I have the 175% genoa and mine often gets hung up when tacking in light air.
So often that I usually choose to jibe all the way around rather than
tack--at least when I'm single-handing.  When you jibe, the wind blows the
foresail forward and clear of all hangups on the deck.  Of course, this is a
cruising maneuver and not a racing maneuver but whatever...it's easier and
faster than going forward to untangle the jib on the foredeck. I've found
that with a little practice, I can jibe the boat around pretty easily.  And
since I don't race, I don't usually give a damn about time.  I like the
challenge of jibing all the way around while holding a drink in one hand and
a cigar in the other.  C'mon, Rummy, I know you can relate!  Regardless, I
like my 175, and usually benefit from its largeness despite its occasional
clumsiness.  Everything's a compromise.

Slim