[Rhodes22-list] New Genny - Was Bullshit

Steve Alm salm at mn.rr.com
Mon Mar 15 17:20:58 EST 2004

Rummy and Ed,
I do have shroud covers and I do not have a big knot(s) where sheet ties to
clew.  I use one long continuous line, cow-hitched on the clew.  I think
that the shroud covers simply do not alleviate enough friction for the sail
to glide over them.  They're not really "rollers" as Ed refers to.  In fact,
they probably don't roll much at all.  I don't think I should have to add
more moving parts.  When tacking in light air, the big heavy jib lies across
the shrouds and mast like a big heavy blanket.  It's not necessarily getting
hooked on anything in particular.  The shrouds, mast, maybe the sheets are
wet adding more weight, altogether create enough friction to hamper the
tack.  This only happens in very light air with the 175 fully deployed.
It's not every time, though.  Often, it goes across fine.  But I'm really
quite surprised that you and Bill have never had this happen.
Slim