[Rhodes22-list] Slim, Shroud and Stay covers

kroposki kroposki at innova.net
Mon Mar 15 09:45:07 EST 2004

Rummy,

	You are right about shroud and stay rolling covers.  I forgot I
went to Lowe's and got those four foot lengths of plastic.

	The ones I got just fit over the disconnected turn buckles.  I
also put silicone washers at both ends to aid in rolling and turning.
That is why mine sail rolls over the wires, because I have slick rolling
covers.

	Slim, measure the widest part of the turnbuckle and go to Lowe's
plumbing department and get some plastic tubing for the forward stays
and side shrouds.  Get plastic washers to put at all ends.  The washers
need not be big, just bigger than the plastic tubes.

	On the same line of discussion, I also have pvc or plastic tubes
over all my turnbuckles.  I understand these cause increased windage,
but they act as a base for the plastic covers to turn on.  I got plastic
end pieces that cap the ends and drilled the correct sized holes to get
over the turn buckles.

	Now, if you go to West Marine or others you can get a similar
product already made up, but mine are heavier weight plastic and do not
cost top dollar.

	I have even considered covering the wires above the spreaders,
but that is just too much project.

	Keep in mine that rolling covers protect your sails from
excessive wear and binding.

             Ed K