[Rhodes22-list] South America

Steve Alm salm at mn.rr.com
Wed Mar 17 19:23:30 EST 2004

Hello Lloyd,

In a recent post, you mentioned you did some work in South America--as well
as many far-off places elsewhere--sounds fascinating!  I love collecting
stories and info from people like yourself who have traveled the world, and
I'm especially interested in Brazil.  Mary Ann and I are planning our next
visit to Brazil in June and I was just wondering what comments you might
share of your experience, if any.

You didn't mention Brazil specifically, but you said you've worked in the
area of "dirt roads"  and I'm just curious.  We may find ourselves investing
in some business ventures with some of our close Brazilian friends who have
been building a growing import/export business in honey and limestone.  I
know--that's a funny combination, but it is what it is.  When we make our
trip in June, we plan to visit the Brazilian interior and see the limestone
quarry and hopefully the honey facilities as well.  One of the big issues
we're dealing with is the sorry state of the roads.  It's pretty damn hard
to get out there!  Not just the roads, but also the Banditos--but that's
another issue.  It's really the wild, wild west out there.

Brazil also has a growing soy bean industry that's fast surpassing the US!
The main hindrance is transportation across the hundreds of miles of dirt
roads.  In the state of Matto Grosso, (central Brazil) they're trucking the
soy beans to an Amazon River port many miles to the north.  From there, once
they hit the water, it's no problem.  They ship out the river, up through
the Panama Canal and across to China--their biggest buyer--ours too, I
think.

I was just wondering if you've worked in Brazil and care to share any
thoughts.

Muinto Obrigado,
Esteban