[Rhodes22-list] Mast Crane (was Lou Moore)

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Thu Mar 18 17:21:31 EST 2004

Roger,

I certainly will try it.  It sounds great!

Where did you acquire your 12" mast crane?   Do you recall Loos settings for
forwards, uppers and aft shrouds?

With only 4 cord/inches upper mast bend, my guess is the greatest benefit is
headsail luff sag adjustment.   If you can obtain enough tension to keep a
150 Genoa close to zero cord/inches in a blow, you must be putting  400-500
pounds on the headstay.   R22 construction looks like it would take that.
Stan builds 'em beefy.

Thinking out loud - 1) built the rig first, 2) measure/verify the
"reasonable mast bend" above the spreaders, 3) send numbers to sailmaker.
Can you think of anything else?

Best,

PT

> [...]
> much use to anyone else.  When you refer to "chord-inches, I presume you
> mean the maximum perpendicular distance from the chord to the radius of
> curvature?  Assuming my definition of chord-inch agrees with yours, with
the
> range of adjustments on Dynamic Equilibrium as currently configured, over
> the 333-5/8 inch length of the forestay, I can adjust the chord-inch value
> from nearly 0 to about 6 inches.  The aluminum extrusions on the headsail
> foils won't sag too much more than that without causing bearing and
furling
> problems.
>
> On my current fully battened mainsail, I went fairly conservative on the
> amount of mast bend the mainsail can respond to.  It is currently cut to
> respond to only about 2 chord-inches, mostly above the spreaders.  The
mast
> curvature actually trails off asymptotically to 0 below the spreaders
> because of stretch in the lower sides stays and the differential fore/aft
> static load I put on the lower side stays.  The forward lower side stays
are
> adjusted tighter than the rear lower side stays to facilitate mast
bending.
> I think the amount of mast bend could be increased to about 4 cord-inches
> without any trouble.  When the time comes to replace this mainsail, that's
> the spec I plan to ask for.  With the current aluminum mast extrusion,
> trying for more bend than about 4 cord-inches is asking for trouble in my
> engineering judgement.  The aluminum extrusion might experience fatigue
> failure (especially in a salt water environment) and the loads on the
> forestay & backstays would start to get a little high for the hull
structure
> and chain plates.
>
> As you probably already know, you bend the mast to straighten the
forestay,
> thereby reducing headstay sag plus flatten the mainsail shape.  Both
actions
> depower the rig for heavy air.  Yes, depowering the rig with the backstay
> adjuster is much faster than any other method because it takes care of
both
> sails at the same time.  I have my backstay adjuster setup with a Harken
144
> swivel cam base with 150 cam-matic cleat, 082 single bullet block, & 071
> stand-up spring mounted on the aft starboard gunnel.  The swiveling arm
cam
> base & cam-matic cleat on the end of the arm allows me to reach the
backstay
> adjuster from virtually any helm position.  The backstay adjuster line is
> marked with calibration marks for quick, reproducible tension adjustments.
> I used the big Harken 144 swivel cam base because this unit is mounted
right
> by where people come aboard over the transom from the boarding ladder.
The
> 144 is sufficiently stout that you can stand on the swiveling arm without
> damaging it.  I've been sailing with this backstay adjuster setup since
> 1988.  It's been absolutely bulletproof so far.
>
> Try it - You'll like it a whole bunch!
>
> Roger Pihlaja
> S/V Dynamic Equilibrium

However,