[Rhodes22-list] Mast Crane (was Lou Moore)

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Thu Mar 18 23:35:54 EST 2004

Peter,

I modified the standard masthead with some aluminum bar stock & a MIG
welder.

Look on the FAQ page for the tension settings.

The way to measure maximum chord inches is to first load up the rig with the
backstays.  Then, run the main halyard down to the base of the mast & tie it
off taut against the slot on the aft face.  Then, using a bosun's chair or a
step ladder to get up high enough on the mast, measure the maximum
chord-inches from the halyard to the slot on the mast.

Note: If all you want to do is eliminate the headstay sag, the standard
backstay adjuster with the standard masthead geometry will do that.  The
only real reason for the crane is to create clearance between the backstays
and the big roach of a fully battened mainsail.  You also need to be a
little conservative re the amount of roach in the mainsail.  Designing in
too much roach will disrupt the balance of the sail plan by shifting the
center of effort (CE) aft, thus causing an excessive amount of weather helm.
Some of this weather helm can be dialed back out by adjusting the static
tilt of the mast such that the mast leans forward slightly, thus moving the
CE of the rig forward.  The static tilt of the mast is adjusted with the
turnbuckle on the forestay or by shortening the forestay cable.

After having installed both a high tech composite genoa on a Harken roller
furler & a fully battened mainsail, I'd say the genoa returns the biggest
performance bang for the buck.  But, the fully battened mainsail looks
totally cool when hoisted & the sail shape is much easier to adjust to
exactly what you want for the prevailing conditions & point of sail.

You will have a choice between sail slugs and a bolt rope on the luff.  I
choose sail slugs & my mainsail almost falls down the mast when the halyard
is released.  Reefing it under load sometimes requires the sail be hauled
down; but, that was true with the partially battened mainsail as well.  You
will have a choice between loose footed & footed using a bolt rope.  I
choose a bolt rope on the foot, mainly because that's what the standard
mainsail had.  I would order the optional zippered shelf which will allow
you to increase the fullness of the lower 1/3 of the mainsail shape for
light air.  You zip up the shelf to flatten the mainsail shape for heavy
air.  After you've paid the big bucks for this fully battened mainsail,
definitely get a leech line & cleat.  The primary function of the leech line
is to stop the trailing edge of the sail from fluttering as the air foil
sheds its trailing vortices.  This fluttering subjects the sailcloth &
stitching in the leech to a lot of high frequency wear cycles, which can
result in premature fatigue failure of the material.  You tighten the leech
line just enough to stop the fluttering.  Thus, the leech line extends the
life of your expensive new sail & is well worth the money up front to have
it installed.  You will have to specify the number of reef points in your
new mainsail.  I originally ordered just 1 set & later had a sailmaker
retrofit a 2nd set.  The next time around, I will order two sets of reef
points.  My 1st reef point reduces the mainsail area by 1/3 and the second
reef point by 2/3 relative to the full mainsail area.

Finally, this new fully battened mainsail will be substantially bulkier when
furled on the boom vs. the standard mainsail.  The chances are, your current
mainsail cover will no longer fit.  I modified my old mainsail cover to fit
the new sail.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium