[Rhodes22-list] GPS

Jim White jdwhite at panam.edu
Fri Mar 19 11:32:59 EST 2004

Vic:
Almost everyone that is in the same line of work as myself (Marine Science)
owns and/uses a GPS of some sort. Judging from the last posts regarding
this (GPS), most small craft (rhodes) owners probably keep (and use) one as
well....it's just that they (we) realize that electronics can and do fail,
so although we probably tend to utilize them as a "first line" (out of
ease/laziness), we are also well versed (usually from the start) in the art
of dead reckoning, chart navigation and other "classic" less technology
dependent resources, concurrently utilizing that as well when we voyage.

BTW sometimes I still practice the venerable "noon shoot" (no Rummy, not a
shot glass of Mt. Gay at noon, although I do ascribe to your additional
survival technique) when working offshore....anybody else out there use a
sextant?
jw