[Rhodes22-list] GPS

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Fri Mar 19 13:28:50 EST 2004

Hello Vic,

Congratulations on your recycled R22!  I'm sure you'll be sailing your
before I complete the work on Phoenix, my 84.

Delaware Bay, I've read in Elliott Merrick's memoir "Cruising At Last" is no
fun place to sail.  Merrick describes it as lots of strong currents running
across lots of shoals.  Ah, but the Chesapeake is wonderful.  Many Rhodies
there too. Good luck.

PT

> Todd,
> My only sailing time has been a 2 day coast guard type course. I liked it
so
> well that I researched sailboats and ended buying a Rhodes (still haven't
> seen it). Before I take any more courses, I'd like to get some hands-on
> experience. I'll be going on weekend charter trips with the local sailing
> club. They mix experienced sailors with beginners like me. My boat will
have
> a slip in Charlestown (northern end of Chesapeake). I'm there because the
> group discouraged me from sailing on the Delaware river. I'll probably be
> alone sometimes. It's hard to envision drawing angles on a paper chart
while
> I'm trying to manage the boat. The consensus so far from the group is that
> GPS isn't needed. My feeling now is that I won't get a GPS unless we use
GPS
> a lot on the weekend charters.
> Vic

Boating