[Rhodes22-list] What's in a Number?

Bob Keller r22yankeeclipper at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 25 11:33:51 EST 2004

Hello all,
The current (April) edition of Sail magazine has an interesting article
titled "Crunching the Numbers."  It explains the commonly used numeric
calculations to define and compare different boats and designs. The article
discusses some of the shortcomings of these values, but also tells how to
calculate them.

So, I ran the numbers for the Rhodes 22, and the conclusion is that the R-22
is a moderate displacement, tender boat with a low-powered sail plan that
does not point to windward well at all.

Here's how the calculations were done:

D/L (displacement/length ratio) = (displacement/2,240)/(0.01 x LWL)3 (third
power) = (3,200/2,240)/(0.01 x 20)3 = 1.43/0.008 = 184 - this puts it in the
"moderate" category.
I used 3,200 displacement as a guesstimate for my 1995 boat with motor,
three batteries, marine head, water tank, etc, etc.

SA/D (sail area/displacement ratio) = sail area sq ft/displacement cu ft
(displacement lb/64) = 300/50 =6 this is considered low, with 15 being the
the upper end of the low range!
I used 300 sq feet considering IMF main and 175 genoa.

BR (ballast ratio) = ballast weight/displacement = 700/3200 = 0.22 this
falls into the tender category with anything below 0.3.  This means
(according to the article) that the boat is tender with limited upwind
capability.

L/B (length to beam ratio) = 22/8 = 2.75 the article states that "a wide
beam increases stiffness, which in turn reduces the ballast required,
enabling lighter construction to be used all around."  Also, "lightweight,
beamy boats often perform poorly to windward in choppy conditions because
they get thrown all over the place."  The author looks for a L/B of 3.0 or
higher.

Some of this seems to be off the mark, but I can identify with some of it,
as well.  In particular the last comment about going to windward in choppy
seas.

Comments anyone?
Bob K
Yankee Clipper