[Rhodes22-list] Brad: New Air Traffic

Wally Buck tnrhodey at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 2 08:26:39 EST 2004

Ed & Brad,

Many years ago I ran a restaurant/bar in Fayetville NC. For special events
we filled baloons with helium and passed out to kids or used as decorations.
After hours we were blowing off some steam enjoying some adult beverages
when a couple of my bartenders came up with the idea to fill 50 gallon trash
can liners with helium. We filled one up and let it go but it was so dark we
quickly lost sight. We then decided it would be easier to see if we used
more trash bags and added lights. So we filled up about 10 of these bags and
tied them all together with about 50 regular balloons. I made a gondalo out
of a small metal screen strainer tied to the balloon with butcher twine. On
top of the gondola we lit sterno cans and then released.

It was awesoome. The "balloon" was about as big as a min-van and the sterno
was providing plenty of light. Well the balloon was a couple of hundred feet
high when the string caught fire causing the gondola to release 5 cans of
burning sterno. Luckily it was about 4 in the morning and there was no
traffic because the flaming sterno landed out in the road and splattered
fire all over. We lost sight of the balloon and called it a night.

A couple of days later there was a small mention in the local news about our
balloon. It seems the people out at near by Pope Airforce Base were looking
for the owners of a large balloon that drifted over their air field. I
freely admit that this was a stupid thing to do. At the time it seemd like a
good idea.....

Wally