LectraSan/Porta-potties Re: [Rhodes22-list] (no subject)

Mary Lou Troy mltroy at verizon.net
Sun Nov 7 11:03:44 EST 2004

Bob,
No experience with Lectrasan - or any other marine head for that matter.
There was a discussion of porta-potties last month on this list. You can
find it in the archives at the Rhodes22.org site
(http://www.rhodes22.org/mailman/listinfo/rhodes22-list) - click on "Rhodes
22 list archives" part way down the page. If you then choose "October" and
"by Subject" look for the subject "In Praise of Porta-potties".

Seeing as how I didn't comment then, I'll add that porta-potties require
very little maintenance. I'm curious as th why you think a porta-potty
would severely limit the potential of the boat. Dumping them and keeping
them clean is not a big deal. With just the two of us aboard and only
(ahem) modest privacy concerns, we think the cabin is roomier with the
older style semi-enclosed head. We generally just bring the porta-potty
home to dump and clean but if we are out cruising, we will dump it in a
marina restroom if the marina doesn't have dump facilities - most in our
area don't. I do try to pick times when the restrooms aren't crowded. The
fancier the marina, the more likely that I'll carry the holding tank up to
the restroom in a plastic bag late at night. When cruising we tend to visit
a marina every second or third night for showers and general clean-up. In
the event that we are out longer we have a second holding tank for our
porta-potty acquired when a previous one developed a leak in the freshwater
pump bellows. Models don't change much so we were able to buy a new one
just like the old one and get a second holding tank in the process. If we
use it, the full one just gets stored in a plastic bag under the seats
until we can empty them both.

You might want to think about how and where you will use your boat and why
you are buying a 22 foot boat instead of, for example, a 16 foot boat or a
30 ft. boat. We wanted enough room to cruise and yet keep the boat simple
enough to maintain so that during boating season (7 months of the year
here) we would not spend much time on maintenance. We live two hours away
from where we keep the boat in season and we wanted to maximize the fun
quotient when we are on the boat. The Rhodes 22 has worked splendidly on
all counts - including our simplified head.

Best wishes

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Ft. Washington, PA / Swan Creek, MD