[Rhodes22-list] Lowering the Mast to the Stern

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Sun Nov 7 20:38:26 EST 2004

Phyllis,

We trailer our Rhodes 22 with a 1995 AWD Chevy Astro minivan.  It has
the middle of the three factory towing packages available in that model
year & is rated to tow 4500 lbs.  AWD makes a tremendous difference
in launching and retrieving as does the use of the trailer tongue
extension on a slimy launch ramp.  Prior to the AWD Astro, we trailered
our Rhodes 22 with a RWD Ford Aerostar minivan and a 4WD AMC
Eagle station wagon.  All had 6 cylinder engines.  The RWD Aerostar
was the only tow vehicle to ever have a problem with retrieval & that
was on a very steep launch ramp.

It takes me about an hour from the time the boat is on the trailer out of
the water until we are road ready.  We lower the mast to the stern.  Our
stays are secured with the pins & split rings.

We store our Rhodes 22 on its trailer at the Midland County Fairgrounds.
Midland County rents out the animal and vender display buildings as off
season winter storage for boats and RV's.  Six months of secure indoor
winter storage cost me $192 this year.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium