[Rhodes22-list] Lowering the Mast to the Stern

Steve Alm salm at mn.rr.com
Mon Nov 8 11:44:00 EST 2004

Phyllis,

In the past I used my 1989 Plymouth Voyager mini van to launch and retrieve.
I had no problems towing around town but it had front wheel drive which is
not recommended for towing long distance.

Slim

On 11/7/04 7:38 PM, "Roger Pihlaja" <cen09402 at centurytel.net> wrote:

> Phyllis,
>
> We trailer our Rhodes 22 with a 1995 AWD Chevy Astro minivan.  It has
> the middle of the three factory towing packages available in that model
> year & is rated to tow 4500 lbs.  AWD makes a tremendous difference
> in launching and retrieving as does the use of the trailer tongue
> extension on a slimy launch ramp.  Prior to the AWD Astro, we trailered
> our Rhodes 22 with a RWD Ford Aerostar minivan and a 4WD AMC
> Eagle station wagon.  All had 6 cylinder engines.  The RWD Aerostar
> was the only tow vehicle to ever have a problem with retrieval & that
> was on a very steep launch ramp.
>
> It takes me about an hour from the time the boat is on the trailer out of
> the water until we are road ready.  We lower the mast to the stern.  Our
> stays are secured with the pins & split rings.
>
> We store our Rhodes 22 on its trailer at the Midland County Fairgrounds.
> Midland County rents out the animal and vender display buildings as off
> season winter storage for boats and RV's.  Six months of secure indoor
> winter storage cost me $192 this year.
>
> Roger Pihlaja
> S/V Dynamic Equilibrium

>>> 2.  Disconnect the boom from the traveler
>>> 3.  Remove the traveler bar
>>> 4.  Hoist the boom up with the topping lift and cleat it off on the mast
>>> 5.  Disconnect the pop top slider and close the hatch
>>> 6.  Disconnect the radio and steaming light
>>> 7.  Wrap up jib sheets and jib reefing line
>>> 8.  Disconnect forward lower shrouds and add extensions
>>> 9.  Loosen all other shroud turnbuckles
>>> 10. Deploy and secure mast crutch
>>> 11. Deploy and secure hoist crane to cabin top block
>>> 12. Attach aft lower shrouds to crane
>>> 12a Alternate: Attach line from crane to mast bail if you're thus
> equipped
>>> 13. Tie hoist winch line to bow cleat with a bowline
>>> 14. Snug the hoist to slack the bow stay
>>> 15. Disconnect bow stay
>>> 16. Crank the hoist "down" giving the mast a little shove to get it
> started
>>> 17. Check the shroud extensions as you lower to avoid entanglement.
>>> 18. Tend the jib as you lower
>>> 19. Lower the mast to the crutch
>>> 20. Disconnect mast from tabernacle