[Rhodes22-list] Lowering the Mast to the Stern

P&M Beals beals at rci.rutgers.edu
Mon Nov 8 16:12:45 EST 2004

Thanks.  Roger's reply about his minivan is encouraging, also the use of the
tongue extender on the trailer...I have that feature and I think that could
be the key for us succeeding next year.

By the way thanks for the effort with the mast lowering steps. I figure that
your idea is to try to get this stuff down in a way that will be truly
useful for newbie types- thus my input from our weekend.

Phyllis
Whisper

> From: Steve Alm <salm at mn.rr.com>
> Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 11:44:00 -0600
> To: Rhodes <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org>
> Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Lowering the Mast to the Stern
>
> Phyllis,
>
> In the past I used my 1989 Plymouth Voyager mini van to launch and retrieve.
> I had no problems towing around town but it had front wheel drive which is
> not recommended for towing long distance.
>
> Slim
>
> On 11/7/04 7:38 PM, "Roger Pihlaja" <cen09402 at centurytel.net> wrote:
>
>> Phyllis,
>>
>> We trailer our Rhodes 22 with a 1995 AWD Chevy Astro minivan.  It has
>> the middle of the three factory towing packages available in that model
>> year & is rated to tow 4500 lbs.  AWD makes a tremendous difference
>> in launching and retrieving as does the use of the trailer tongue
>> extension on a slimy launch ramp.  Prior to the AWD Astro, we trailered
>> our Rhodes 22 with a RWD Ford Aerostar minivan and a 4WD AMC
>> Eagle station wagon.  All had 6 cylinder engines.  The RWD Aerostar
>> was the only tow vehicle to ever have a problem with retrieval & that
>> was on a very steep launch ramp.
>>
>> It takes me about an hour from the time the boat is on the trailer out of
>> the water until we are road ready.  We lower the mast to the stern.  Our
>> stays are secured with the pins & split rings.
>>
>> We store our Rhodes 22 on its trailer at the Midland County Fairgrounds.
>> Midland County rents out the animal and vender display buildings as off
>> season winter storage for boats and RV's.  Six months of secure indoor
>> winter storage cost me $192 this year.
>>
>> Roger Pihlaja
>> S/V Dynamic Equilibrium

>>> Whisper