[Rhodes22-list] The list is to quiet.

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 18 06:37:07 EST 2004

Wally,

A lot of our guys now throw away their plastic keys
rather than return them.  Perhaps this is urban
legend, but some hotels encode a lot of personal
information on the magnetic strip.  I know for a fact
that hotels know exactly when you come and go from
your room by the use of the plastic key.  According to
the conspiracy theory, the magnetic strip on the key
can reveal your credit card info to a knowledgable
user.  I don't do much night flying anymore but when I
did, it was not unusual for maids to call the room and
ask if you accidently left the "do not disturb" sign
on or did you want your room cleaned? Several years
ago one of our guys got so frustrated he left his door
unlocked and when the maid came barging in, he mooned
her.  That earned him a "carpet dance" with the chief
pilot.

Brad