[Rhodes22-list] Politics -Tom Sowell

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 20 10:40:02 EST 2004

Tom,

If you somehow deduced that I think Iraq is like
Vietnam, you have come to the wrong conclusion, Sir.
Vietnam was a war fought with no clear objectives,
micro-managed by the Johnson administration from the
basement of the White House, and ended by Nixon under
the dubious "Peace With Honor" program, whatever that
concept was.

Our objective in Iraq has been from the beginning to
change the political dynamics of a whole region.
Yeah, it was sold on WMD, disposing a dictator, etc.,
but the real reasons are that everything we've tried
in the last thirty years haven't worked.  That point
was driven home on 9/11.

Here's a link to Victor Hansen's latest column.  He
sums this up very nicely.

http://www.nationalreview.com/hanson/hanson200411190830.asp

A lot of folks, Charles Lindberg's "America First" for
example, were opposed to our entry into WW2 but got
behind the effort when the shooting started.  The same
is true of Truman's decision to engage in Korea.

Everyone gets another chance to voice their opinion
for/against the war in two years and a new
presidential administration in four.  In the meantime,
regardless of anyones personal politics, we had better
prevail in Iraq. Despite the mainstream media's
obvious and documentedand bias against the current
administration, we are prevailing in this fight!

Brad Haslett
"CoraShen"

http://www.washtimes.com/op-ed/20041118-093816-1955r.htm

http://www.opinionjournal.com/columnists/dhenninger/?id=110005914