[Rhodes22-list] Jesusland.

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Sun Nov 21 18:13:36 EST 2004

Rummy -

Couldn't agree more about the problems that come
up when we combine religion with politics.

Part of the background of our current "family values"
vs. secular considerations may come from our failure
to distinguish between moral issues and ethical ones.

Morals are a product of a person's dialogue with his
deity of choice - and there is more than one such
acknowledged in this country.

Ethics are shared in a society without regard to
religion - or the society falls apart.  When the
society decides to enforce morals, it becomes a
theocracy, and people's rights are submerged in the
regulations laid down by the priest class, specially
when it is indistinguishable from the ruling class.

I believe that the "family values" issues raised in
the last election are totally irrelevant to our
government, and were used in the most unscrupulous
way to obscure the real issues confronting our
government.

/Robert Skinner